Saturday, November 10, 2012

Abstraction of an Object

The current project in design class is to abstract an realistic object to create 3 painted design which show figure and ground relationships. 
I choose a key as my object. Before making the abstracted design we did realistic drawings of the objects. 
Here is my key drawing done in my sketchbook.

Next a section of the drawing was chosen with  viewfinder.
The section was traced on a grid and enlarged by hand and transferred on 8 inch square Bristol paper.
The designs had to be painted in 3 flat values of grey, black and white using tempera paint.

I was happy to start the new project it seemed interesting  But I ran into problems right away. I had trouble using the grid to transfer my design, mixing the paint and painting the actual design. I had painted many time before in acrylic oil and watercolor but never in tempera. It's difficult getting used to this paint which made the project more complicated. 



My 3 values of grey, black, white and my paint brushes.

Me painting
my supplies


My paint was streaking.


I don't know what happened here.

Here are my design so far. I will clean them up some more later.

Next up, the implied and actual texture design!




1 comment: